Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My First Hero!

A girl's first hero is usually her daddy. Well, I'll try not to exaggerate, but I think my dad is my hero not just because he is the best dad ever... :) but for all who he is and wants to be. My parents are already saints in my mind. So my way of sharing the wisdom of such a Godly Man was to create a blog page dedicated to his homilies, humor and daily thoughts. Because he's been endowed with such beautiful words of wisdom, and he always knows the right thing to say to make me think a little harder or smile a little bigger - it's a shame not to share.


Here is a peice of his homily from last Sunday that actually recieved applause. That doesn't happen at his church much. Read and find out why...


Homily by: Deacon Bruce Maltzen
September 21, 2008
25th Sunday in Ordinary Time Cycle A

I used to work at a job where I managed about 15 software and electrical engineers. It was my job not only to oversee their work, but also to determine their pay raises each year. I worked hard at being equitable, making sure that each person was paid according to their competence, quality, amount of work and number of years of experience. I tried to be equitable. I graphed out each person on a pay scale and then tried to determine from their effort and quality where they belonged on the scale in comparison with each other. If they were worked harder, smarter and more diligently than someone else more highly paid, I attempted (within the limits placed on me by the company) to make it more equitable, giving more to the harder worker and a little less raise to the one who wasn’t working up to the level I felt they could. I was trying to be just in the area of pay.

Needless to say when I read [today's] Gospel, I feel a little worried for the ones who started work in the morning and got paid the same as the one who only worked one hour. It didn’t seem to make sense in my terms of equitable pay for equal work. Actually I thought that if this guy kept this up, he’d go broke as most people would wait for work at the last hour, now expecting to get paid the same amount as those who worked all day.

But then I started to ask, just what is God trying to teach us here. He can’t possible mean that we should pay everybody the same no matter how much they work? Could he? There has to be something much more to this than that.

(Click here to read more)


It's not about religion, it's a matter of life!

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states (No 2271):

“Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable.
Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law”.

My dad talks more about the Pro-Life cause within this homily. Please take a moment to read it, and any of his other homilies I've gathered on a blog for just for him. Add him to your google reader, and gain a "Wealth of Wisdom!"

The website for your reference is: Http://DeaconBruce.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much if you have some thoughts to share here! Please keep them kind - think, would you say this to your friend?