Thursday, January 5, 2012

Third Trimester Nightmares

I can handle the discomforts of being 8 months pregnant. I can attempt to get a handle of my 4 young children. But what I cannot handle are these very vivid nightmares I've been having!

pregnancy nightmares

I read that because of intense hormone changes and stresses of pregnancy, dreams tend to become more vivid and memorable after waking. Let me just say it, THIS SUCKS! Last night was the worst. I can usually justify the nightmares with the fact that my husband and I tend to snore, thus resulting in dreams of growling bears. This morning, my husband was gone and along came a dinosaur! It was enough to prompt me to research my nightmares, with astounding results that are right on for my daytime moods and fears.

 

Nightmare glass house

My reoccurring nightmare usually includes our old Cold Spring house in the woods on the lake. As I approach the house, the family of bears spot me. (In real life, there were no bears in the area.) As I enter the house, it either has all screen doors or glass windows (similar to the image above). Either way I am vulnerable to attack.

nightmare bear

I usually get in to the empty house to attempt locking all doors as the bear follows me just yards away. Lucky for me, I tend to wake up shortly after.

According to DreamMoods.com:

To see a glass house in your dream suggests that you need to be cautious about what people are telling you. They may be telling you what you want to hear, and not necessarily what you need to hear.

To dream that you are being pursued or attacked by a bear, denotes aggression, overwhelming obstacles and competition. You may find yourself in a threatening situation.

To dream that you are locking the door suggests that you are closing yourself off from others. You are hesitant in letting others in and revealing your feelings. It is indicative of some fear and low self-worth.

 

nightmare horsesnightmare cow

Last night, there were a stable of wild horses that had it in for me. It makes me guess my husband or I had more of a "phfbbb" snore like a horse sound. There were a few other animals, such as a stubborn cow pushing the gate open, and some dogs. But why I had to contain the horses and cow by myself in a basement stall under the house??? Why my farmer father-in-law stood by and watched? Why an old high school acquaintance I never think about suddenly appears to serve me a weird molasses treat my father-in-law left on a nearby post?

 

According to DreamMoods.com:

To see a herd of wild horses in your dream signifies a sense of freedom and lack of responsibilities and duties. Perhaps it may also indicate your uncontrolled emotions.

To see a cow in your dream symbolizes your passive and docile nature. You obey others without question. Alternatively, a cow represents maternal instincts or the desire to be cared for. For some cultures, the cow represents divine qualities of fertility, nourishment and motherhood.

To see a dog in your dream symbolizes intuition, loyalty, generosity, protection, and fidelity. The dream suggests that your strong values and good intentions will enable you to go forward in the world and bring you success. The dream dog may also represent someone in your life who exhibits these qualities. Alternatively, to see a dog in your dream indicates a skill that you may have ignored or forgotten. If the dog is vicious and/or growling, then it indicates some inner conflict within yourself.

To see or eat molasses in your dream, signifies a happy home life and good hospitality. Alternatively, the dream may be a metaphor for some situation or something that is moving slowly.

To see your father-in-law in your dream refers to your conscience and your rational side. You need to be more yielding in your point of view and decisions.

To see an acquaintance in your dream represents aspects of yourself that you are still trying to get to know. To dream that you are disputing with an acquaintance represents aspects of yourself that you are rejecting. You are refusing to accept certain things about yourself.

To dream that the basement is in disarray and messy signifies some confusion in which you need to sort out. These are things that you have "stored" away or put aside in your mind because you do not know what to do with it or you do not have the time to deal with it. It may also represent your perceived faults and shortcomings.

 

 

nightmare schoolbus leavingnightmare landline phone

The next dream (today) starts with losing my luggage on a school bus that left without me. I somehow get home and unable to use a regular landline phone to call for help. Forgetting all the dial codes and phone numbers…

nightmare dinosaur

Then what about that Dinosaur suddenly appearing, chasing me and my oldest daughter around the house, without the ability to keep it out despite our best efforts? It also grows the closer we get to safety. It was about 6 inches tall growing up to just over 3 feet tall before I woke up.

 

According to DreamMoods.com

To see or ride a school bus in your dream suggests that you are about to venture on an important life journey needed for your own personal growth.

To dream that you lose your luggage represents a lost in your identity.

To dream that you cannot dial a phone number correctly suggests that you are having difficulties in getting through to someone in your waking life. Consider whose phone number you are trying to dial. Perhaps he or she is not taking your advice or listening to what you have to say. The message is not getting through.

To see a dinosaur in your dream symbolizes an outdated attitude. You may need to discard your old ways of thinking and habits. To dream that you are being chased by a dinosaur, indicates your fears of no longer being needed or useful. Alternatively, being chased by a dinosaur, may reflect old issues that are still coming back to haunt you.

To see something growing in your dream indicates that you have reached a new level of maturity or spiritual enlightenment.

 

SO - A RECAP OF MY DREAM MOOD:

Glass House + Bear + Locking Up=

I feel like there are many overwhelming obstacles in my life. What I tend to do is become hesitant in revealing my feelings. People are telling me what they think I want to hear, but not what I am needing to hear. Probably because they don't know or understand how I'm really feeling.

 

Wild Horses + Cow + Dogs + Molasses + Basement Barn + people=

Everything is moving so slowly including the pregnancy and my ability to handle this household. I procrastinate because I do not know what else to do. I have uncontrolled emotions and a desire to be cared for.  My rational side is trying to know me better, so I can use my newfound strengths to get me through. I have strong values and good intentions that will help me move forward.

 

School Bus + Lost Luggage + Phone Numbers + Growing Dinosaur=

I am on an important life journey, but along the way I am losing my identity. I am having troubles getting though (to my husband) about how I feel and what I need to feel better emotionally. Resulting in a growing fear of no longer being needed or useful.

 

Can I just say, Woah! That is all true. Sad, but true.

Now, I just need to take note of all this and do something about it. To stop the nightmares and conquer my emotional issues. Find my strengths and move forward!

 

Do you have vivid nightmares? Post a comment!

2 comments:

  1. It is just plain wrong to misguide people by using symbolism to explain dreams and use their fears. Dreammoods.com saying closing a door on a bear in your dream is like keeping people out of your life is just plain funny. Hope peoplevare not reading too much into this website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually read much into fortune cookies or astrology sign predictions. If I ever read those things, it's usually for a good laugh. As was this, when it randomly came up during a search about pregnancy nightmares. I thought it ironic that the website's suggestions about my dreams were right on to my feelings at the time. Nothing "wrong" or "misguided." There is nothing wrong with people's published research of links between symbolism and psychology. It's a plausible theory.

      Delete

Thanks so much if you have some thoughts to share here! Please keep them kind - think, would you say this to your friend?