Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Poem for Personal Strength

Did you read my Ah-ha Moment with God a few posts ago? Well, I wrote about a poem on a plaque my parents have had in their home for years. I believe they got it from a fellow deacon friend. Anyways, after my mom read my post, she emailed me the full poem. It is so beautiful and I have always been pondering it as I grew up, but it wasn't until the other day I finally got it. How do you feel when you read it?


After a while you learn the difference,
subtle difference, between holding a hand and chaining a soul.
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
and company doesn’t mean security.
And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts and presents aren’t promises.
And you accept your defeats with your head up and your
eyes open, with the grace of an adult, not the grief of a child.
And you learn to build all your roads on today because
tomorrow’s ground is too uncertain for plans.
After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much.
So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul
instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers,
And you learn that you really can endure,
that you really are strong.
And you really do have worth.
Veronica A. Shoffstall (c) 1971
Love You
Mom & Dad
September 2008
Thanks Mom and Dad!
And God Bless everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Love this -- have had it since my high school days in the late 70's.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much if you have some thoughts to share here! Please keep them kind - think, would you say this to your friend?